10 March 2009

playing hooky

oh my curious bees! i am so happy! i finally got the impetus to make make make and i feel so much better! between my recent inspirations and frustrations, i knew it would eventually happen. sometimes the artistic process is just like a zombie... slowly but surely.

and now i realize that i must give some credit to my creative friends that have helped reignite my drive to create. for instance, this weekend i was delighted to share a saturday with my friend chase (she has a super CUTE blog...pun intended). we went to the oakland museum's annual white elephant sale and spent hours rummaging through old fabrics, buttons and other notions. then we went on to peruse the books, crystal, baubles, and i scored some seriously fun stuff! a tea set from the GDR, some lovely fabrics, mostly in green, a plethora of super cute buttons sewn to old playing cards, and a few old books.

after some tasty diner food at merritt bakery we did a mini photo shoot for her etsy store and my soon to be etsy store with my pal ashley. all very inspiring. especially since chase's apartment is decked out in absolute cuteness. aprons, fabrics pilled high on shelves, buttons in vintage jars, color everywhere! she is quite prolific with her crafting and her entire life is a work of art. i am so happy to know her.

later we went to an art opening and enjoyed a lovely night out with our man friends (her boyfriend, my husband). the artwork was at the JFK Berkeley Art Annex where my husband is finishing up his MFA in photography. i really connected to the student work in the hall and there was a video installation in the main gallery that was super complex and dream like.

i was so busy having fun this weekend that i neglected my day to make art and i became so antsy to make stuff that i played hooky on monday to sew all day! [well, in between editing my husband's thesis and helping my friend natalia with burning a dvd of her new one minute short film... so i can't say too much came out of that session in terms of a final product. i did however conquer the alice in wonderland brooch i have been problem solving for weeks and began a cute little clutch bag that i hope to finish tonight! pictures of all of this SOON!]

yeah for super sweet inspirations that come from all of my loveliest relationships - i realize how much motivation i get from being around you all. it's nice to be a part of an artistic community that supports you and you them. i am so happy to be making things-my process feels authentic again. i look forward to sharing with you the outcome of my inspirations. thank you fellow bees!
you're the best!~ x

3 comments:

  1. any fabric that would work for my projects?
    Im starting to regret that darn tahoe weekend. Lost of things missed. 8(

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops. its not mags. its ashley. On the company computer and my coworker forgot to sign out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jill you're so sweet! I seriously teared up when I read the lovely things you wrote about me! I'm all choked up... Gah! I'm so lucky to have a friend like you! You're such a big inspiration to me as well! (By the way I ADORE the way your clutch came out, that fabric sings! And the brooch is amazing! Can't wait to have another inspiring day with you and Philly!) *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete