20 February 2009

new inspiration

I am so inspired by Amy Karol, who is the author of the latest book I am devouring, called 'Bend-the-Rules Sewing'. I recently traded sewing books with a friend, after she turned me on to Karol's craft blog, 'Angry Chicken', and was bestowed with this gem of a read. Not only are the projects and tips for sewing just down to earth and fun, but the photographs and illustrations are so beautiful that I am inspired to get cracking on my own work again!

I love how inspiration takes you away out of nowhere. I also love how what inspires me about her work is that she can do it all and it works! She is a painter, designer, seamstress, mother, textile artist, author and just overall a fabulous writer and is quite genuine.

In the midst of all the other projects I have going, I would like to take my time learning to sew, while working on my new series. My new series had it's own moment of inspiration when I was at a cafe and saw an illustrated poster on the wall with flowers and spices.

I love maps. I love diagrams. I use them in my art. This time I want to make the art more personal. Maybe make my own diagrams about my life. I also love to collage and draw or paint on top of it. So somewhere in the 'what I love' category and the 'what inspires me' category I am finding my way back to my practice. this is merely part of my process.

I am itching to get going. Sometimes the inspiration phase needs to be jumped on before it goes away. But I will be looking at art this weekend which will keep it near. then next week while the hubby is off to LA I think I will start the next phase of this process, which is sketching. Not my favorite phase since I tend to be so ahead of myself that I want the art DONE. In an effort to be as present as possible with my process, I think I will just take my time. After all, art does take time. all of life/things take time. It's so hard to live in a society that forgets that time is precious and the difference between something mediocre and something special is taking the time to do it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment